Neck pain or a stiff neck is a common thing to experience, especially since we spend so much time slouching over work or staring down at our phones.
What causes stiff neck pain?
A stiff neck is usually the result of muscles weakening over time from misuse or poor posture. Looking down at your monitor or driving for long periods can cause the muscles in your neck to tire and overstretch. As the name suggests, this causes you to feel stiffness or some pain in the neck area. In some instances, the pain may spread to your shoulders and upper back, or may even cause a headache.
Now when your neck muscles weaken and you try to turn your head, the joint can no longer move smoothly. The joint may cause you to pull a muscle or hit a nerve irregularly, resulting in instant pain.
Common activities that may cause stiff neck pain include:
- Sleeping on a pillow that does not properly support your head (too high or too flat)
- Slouching or holding your head in a forward posture while working, reading, or watching TV
- Work or exercise that uses the upper body and arms
Pain from a stiff neck can be bothersome or even get in the way of your regular activities. Beat neck pain with these tips:
- Adjust your work space. Put your monitor at eye level and sit up straight to avoid putting more strain on your neck.
- Do slow range-of-motion exercises like moving your head up and down, ear to ear, and form side to side to help gently stretch the muscles.
- Sleep on a firm mattress with a special neck pillow.
- For immediate pain relief, popping an OTC pain medication from a trusted set of options should do the job.
Want to know more about neck pain? Leave your question in the comments below or send us a message here.
ASC Ref. No. U047P101817A, U199P082517A, U011P111717A, U005P111717A, U002P111717A, U140P071118A, U109P071118A, U111P071118A
If symptoms persist, consult your doctor.
Tags: Neck Pain Causes, Neck Pain Signs, Neck Pain Symptoms, Reasons for Neck Pain, Neck and shoulder pain, Neck pain, Neck pain cure, Stop neck pain, Stiff neck, Stiff neck treatment, Neck pain relief